Thursday, October 12, 2006

Everything has to start somewhere. And that’s exactly what’s happening here…a new start.

I love to write. By no means am I the best in the world when it comes to all things literary, my spelling is shocking and my use of punctuation is sporadic to say the least. The important thing is that I love to write. Nothing keeps me more entertained than writing a few paragraphs on a cold winters evening, or some other cliche. I also have another love though, cars. Or to be picky, old cars. I’d be hard pushed to think of something more fun than tinkering with and driving an old motor. I can assure there is no greater feeling than the satisfaction after fixing your Mini in the snow!

This is why old cars are better. Old cars are almost human, they have their mood swings, the let you know if they are ill and they will sometimes….just sometimes reward you with a trouble free blast down a sunny Welsh B road.....maybe.....If you have your AA card with you.

The car, in my eyes at least, died a long time ago. In regards to cars that are mass produced nowadays we have nothing that is on par with the old stuff. Cars now are seen more as a status symbol than an expression of a person. In fact, it was just the opposite way back when. New cars now are designed to make you think driver is a high powered executive, when in fact he's probably nothing more than the office junior. Back in the day though, well, it was all very very different. Mr Johnson drove the MKII Zodiac High-Line because he was the boss. His bank manger drove the PA Cresta because he was just that…the Bank Manager. Back when old cars were new they meant something. They were made by people who longed to be the guy who drove them home every night.

Back then they were designed to make the driver feel special, not feel financially secure. That didn’t matter. Back then what mattered was the car. Cars now are as disposable as the dishwasher or the microwave. An old car, well that is something that YOU complete. It’ll sit there through 10 years of restoration work, just waiting for you to use it. An old car is an extension of the driver and back in the day the car NEEDED the driver. But now, thanks to marketing and an obsession to be better than the next guy, the person NEEDS the car. Wrong? You betcha.

That’s why I’m here though. Over the next, urm, well…….over time I’m going to write about why old skool cars are better. Because lets face it……they are.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home