The people behind the cars....
Car clubs are a good idea. Its always nice to talk to someone about your car in a genuinely interested environment. As I’m sure some of you will know, if you burst into full conversation about the benefits of a direct port NOS system to your partner the response is usually lacking in enthusiasm. Well, that how it is in my house anyway! That’s why there is nothing I love more than talking to a bunch of like-minded mates about all the oily bits that mere mortals don’t understand. I love be able to do that without the underlying possibility of killing someone from verbally induced boredom.
In this spectrum of clubs though, there is, I think, a large divide between new cars and the motors of days gone by. My boss for example, has a Mazda RX-8. It’s a nice car by all means. Goes quickly, handles well, looks good etc etc. There is an online forum for the owners of the wankel powered beasties which is handy as a source of information. But somewhat lacking in any sort of personality. It consists of people airing their concerns about warranty claims and the worryingly frequent oil changes. I’m sure this is of benefit for those that own them, but it’s a bit dull.
This is just the problem though. Here we have a car that has broken away from the norm with its painfully unreliable engine, its odd suicide door design and its family car emphasis on a sports car platform. But despite all these brilliant features, the most exciting thing in the forum is “how do I remove a scratch from the dash” . Hmmmm. Dull.
If this is the level of excitement for such a bold car in comparison to the rest of the new car market, what must forums elsewhere be like? I went to an Audi day at Castle Combe race circuit yesterday. Some nice cars there too, tearing up the track like loons. One thing that struck me as utterly bizarre though, was the Audi A2 owners club. I kid you not, it was a line of identical cars. And I do mean identical. One chap had broken away from the norm though. His was black. How is this fun? I’m sure it is to them and I have no issue with their club. Everyone needs a hobby after all. But god damn, that must be dull. There can only be so much you can talk about when it come to a new car?
This is where old cars become supreme. With old cars and their associated clubs there is a real atmosphere. Some, I admit, are dull in comparison to others. But even still, the members all meet up and talk about how they fitted their front sub frame in the rain. In the dark. With a hernia. Because that’s what old cars make you do. These clubs have meets. But these meets are carried out with the emphasis firmly on showing each members hard work off. Not trying to be better than anyone, or to get a sticker in the window that gets them a 10% discount with SAGA insurance.
I’m part of an online forum as some of you may know. I’m an extremely active member. I’ve been a member for about 9-10 months now, and I don’t even own the model of car associated with the club. I did….briefly, but then I sold it. Because I’m a fool. But that’s another story. I’m still active in the forum though because I genuinely have made some great friends. I look forward to hearing from people and finding out what people have been up to. I try my best to help anyone with a problem because I love the site and want to be part of such a good thing. Obviously I’m passionate about the cars, and it’s because we hall have or have had old cars that the site was created. Everyone on that forum loves their old motor, but they love them even more because they can be safe in the knowledge that there is going to be someone on hand to help them out if they need it. And there always is someone on hand too, over 4500 people in fact. And that’s all because we are passionate about our old cars.
Bet you don’t get that with A2. But hey, it’s under warranty…..right?
Car clubs are a good idea. Its always nice to talk to someone about your car in a genuinely interested environment. As I’m sure some of you will know, if you burst into full conversation about the benefits of a direct port NOS system to your partner the response is usually lacking in enthusiasm. Well, that how it is in my house anyway! That’s why there is nothing I love more than talking to a bunch of like-minded mates about all the oily bits that mere mortals don’t understand. I love be able to do that without the underlying possibility of killing someone from verbally induced boredom.
In this spectrum of clubs though, there is, I think, a large divide between new cars and the motors of days gone by. My boss for example, has a Mazda RX-8. It’s a nice car by all means. Goes quickly, handles well, looks good etc etc. There is an online forum for the owners of the wankel powered beasties which is handy as a source of information. But somewhat lacking in any sort of personality. It consists of people airing their concerns about warranty claims and the worryingly frequent oil changes. I’m sure this is of benefit for those that own them, but it’s a bit dull.
This is just the problem though. Here we have a car that has broken away from the norm with its painfully unreliable engine, its odd suicide door design and its family car emphasis on a sports car platform. But despite all these brilliant features, the most exciting thing in the forum is “how do I remove a scratch from the dash” . Hmmmm. Dull.
If this is the level of excitement for such a bold car in comparison to the rest of the new car market, what must forums elsewhere be like? I went to an Audi day at Castle Combe race circuit yesterday. Some nice cars there too, tearing up the track like loons. One thing that struck me as utterly bizarre though, was the Audi A2 owners club. I kid you not, it was a line of identical cars. And I do mean identical. One chap had broken away from the norm though. His was black. How is this fun? I’m sure it is to them and I have no issue with their club. Everyone needs a hobby after all. But god damn, that must be dull. There can only be so much you can talk about when it come to a new car?
This is where old cars become supreme. With old cars and their associated clubs there is a real atmosphere. Some, I admit, are dull in comparison to others. But even still, the members all meet up and talk about how they fitted their front sub frame in the rain. In the dark. With a hernia. Because that’s what old cars make you do. These clubs have meets. But these meets are carried out with the emphasis firmly on showing each members hard work off. Not trying to be better than anyone, or to get a sticker in the window that gets them a 10% discount with SAGA insurance.
I’m part of an online forum as some of you may know. I’m an extremely active member. I’ve been a member for about 9-10 months now, and I don’t even own the model of car associated with the club. I did….briefly, but then I sold it. Because I’m a fool. But that’s another story. I’m still active in the forum though because I genuinely have made some great friends. I look forward to hearing from people and finding out what people have been up to. I try my best to help anyone with a problem because I love the site and want to be part of such a good thing. Obviously I’m passionate about the cars, and it’s because we hall have or have had old cars that the site was created. Everyone on that forum loves their old motor, but they love them even more because they can be safe in the knowledge that there is going to be someone on hand to help them out if they need it. And there always is someone on hand too, over 4500 people in fact. And that’s all because we are passionate about our old cars.
Bet you don’t get that with A2. But hey, it’s under warranty…..right?


2 Comments:
haha, spot on. just what my other half is like with her car... won't let me fix it cos it's under warranty.
bloody boring car it is too
At last , someone who understands the ups n downs of being a petrolhead and firm believer in OLD SKOOL !!
kEEP IT UP CHRIS...ENJOYED THE READ .
Post a Comment
<< Home